Organisation of Material
There are two pages for the Liverpool North Docks system with a link to the next and previous pages at the end of each page. The first page includes information about the geography of the system. Docks are shown in order from north to south but not all docks are represented in the collection.
Geography of the Liverpool North Docks System
The Liverpool North Docks system is complex so I have created a diagram to show the connections between the various docks to supplement other plans. The diagram also shows which docks join the River Mersey and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
Click image for enlarged view
Official Maps and Plans
Click image for enlarged view
Click image for enlarged view
Gladstone Dock
Gladstone Dock is very large and was designed to take the largest transatlantic steamers. It was named for Robert Gladstone, second cousin of Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. The construction was a long process and was completed in 1927 by which time is consisted of three miles of quays. It was served by its own railway station and continued to service transatlantic traffic until 1971 when all such services ceased. It is still in use and forms part of Liverpool Freeport. Gladstone Dock is connected to Seaforth Dock in the north and Hornby Dock in the south.
Hornby Dock
Hornby Dock was connected to Gladstone Dock to the North and Alexandra Dock to the South; it was opened in 1884 and was used by the timber trade. Hornby dock is to the left of the photo below and has subsequently been filled in.
Alexandra Dock
Alexandra Dock is connected to Hornby Dock to the North and Langton Dock to the South. It was opened in 1881 and consists of a main basin and three branch docks. It supported the grain trade and provided refrigeration facilities for imported frozen meat. Although still in existence, one arm of its docks has been filled in. Its main export is now scrap metal.
Langton Dock
Langton Dock is connected to Alexandra Dock to the North and Brocklebank Dock to the South. It was opened in 1881 and consisted of a main basin with a branch dock and two graving docks. The branch and graving docks have been filled in to provide car parking. The main dock was used occasionally as a terminal for cruise liners but this use stopped in 2013 when the Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal opened in 2013 and Langton Dock is currently disused (2014).
Canada Basin
Canada Basin is provides an exit to the Mersey and is connected to Langton Dock to the North and Canada Dock to the South. It was completed in 1859.
Brocklebank Dock
Brocklebank Dock is connected to Langton Dock to the North, Canada Dock to the South and Carriers' Dock to the East. It was opened in 1862 and was originally known as Canada Half-Tide Dock. It was renamed in 1879 in honour of Ralph Brocklebank. Initially the dock handled mainly timber but later in its life was the terminal for passengers and freight travelling to and from Belfast.
Carriers' Dock
Otherwise known as North Carriers' Dock, it was opened as one of a pair of docks in 1862. It's partner South Carriers' Dock was used as a graving dock from 1898. It is connected to Brocklebank Dock to the West.
Canada Dock
Canada Dock consists of a main basin with three branch docks and a graving dock. It is connected to Brocklebank Dock to the North and Huskisson Dock to the South. It was designed by Jesse Hartley and opened in 1859 and dealt largely with timber from Canada - hence the name. The dock was modified in the 1950s and 1960s so it could become a base for cargo line companies such as Harrison Line. The dock is still in use handling bulk cargoes and scrap metal.
Huskisson Dock
Huskisson dock consists of a main basin and two branch docks. It is connected to Canada Dock to the North and Sandon Half-Tide Dock to the South. It was designed by Jesse Hartley and opened in 1852 and got its name from William Huskisson - a former MP and Treasurer of the Navy. Initially the dock primarily handled timber but later in grain and as a berth for passenger ships on the North American routes. Branch Dock No. 2 was severely damaged by an explosion of an ammunition ship Malakand was hit during an air raid and was put out of use until it could be rebuilt after the war. It was later filled in and is in use as a timber yard. The remainder of the dock is still in use handling bulk cargoes.
Please press Next at the foot of the page to see the next page of postcards of Liverpool North Docks.
